1953 – The new dog track on Stock Island, which was built in six weeks, drew an opening-night crowd estimated at 4,000.
Library News: Arts & Culture
Today in Keys History – Jan. 31, 2023
Today in Keys History – Jan. 30, 2023
1967 – Charles Helberg, 62, died of a sudden heart attack at the Key Wester Motel on South Roosevelt, which he had built in 1951. In December 1949, Helberg, Vicent Conley and Abe Golan formed Key West Improvement, Inc., which purchased most of the eastern half of Key West from William R. Porter and the Key West Realty Company.
Today in Keys History – Jan. 29, 2023
1916 – The Automatic Telephone Company of Key West moved its offices from the Kress Building to a newly-built, reinforced concrete structure at the corner of Simonton and Southard streets.
Today in Keys History – Jan. 28, 2023
1983 – Mitchell Wolfson, Key West native, who found Wometco Enterprises in Miami died at age 82. In addition to the Miami holdings, Wometco owned the Conch Train. Mr. Wolfson and his wife Frances saved the Audubon House from destruction and had it fully restored.
Today in Keys History – Jan. 27, 2023
1949 – The Army Barracks was transferred to the Navy. The 26-acre site on the western shore of Garrison Bight was used to build the Peary Court Navy housing.
Today in Keys History – Jan. 26, 2023
1977 – The new United States Coast Guard Station at Trumbo Annex was dedicated.
Today in Keys History – Jan. 25, 2023
1946 – The submarine tender USS Howard W. Gilmore arrived in Key West. The big tender was the flagship for the submarine squadron assigned to Key West.
Today in Keys History – Jan. 24, 2023
1947 – Key West Mayor W.W. Demerrit recommended to the Federal Works Agency that the idle Marine Hospital be returned to the U.S. Public Health Service and function again as a hospital. Local Navy officials were not pleased, as they intended to use the building for apartments.
Today in Keys History – Jan. 23, 2023
1912 – At 11 a.m. the parade commemorating the opening of the Overseas Railroad started from the corner of Simonton and Eaton streets.
Today in Keys History – Jan. 22, 2023
1912 – Henry Flagler arrived on the first train from the mainland to Key West, officially opening the Overseas Extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad. Mr. Flagler was welcomed to Key West by Mayor J.N. Fogarty, distinguished guests, and probably the largest crowd ever gathered in Key West. George W. Allen presented Mr. Flagler with two large silver medallions from the citizens of Key West.