1914 – The U.S. Marine Hospital was located at the corner of Fleming and Emma streets. G.M Gutierrez was the surgeon in charge and S.D.W. Light was the medical officer in command. Dr. Light was also in charge of the U.S. Quarantine Station.
Library News: Florida History
Today in Keys History – June 5, 2023
Today in Keys History – June 4, 2023
1939 – The newly built schooner Western Union was given a trial run, with Captain G.R. Steadman at the wheel. The schooner met all expectations and would soon be put into service for the repair of undersea cables.
Today in Keys History – June 3, 2023
1969 – Juan Sigler, owner of the International Barber Shop in Key West, announced he was closing his business after 32 years of operation. “Long haired hippies and the Beatles have killed my business,” he said. “It’s the long hair…There’s no hair to cut. There’s no business.”
Today in Keys History – June 2, 2023
1953 – A $330,000 loan was issued for the construction of a McCrorys Ten Cent store at the corner of Duval and Southard streets. The one-story, concrete block store would replace the landmark Cash house, which had been demolished to make way for the new building. Many felt this would change the face of Duval Street for the worse.
Today in Keys History – June 1, 2023
1924 – Key West carpenter Edward J. Bayly left for Newfound Harbor Key to begin construction of a five-room bungalow for the owner Newton C. Munson. The structure would have running water and an electric system.
Today in Keys History – May 31, 2023
1952 – The Florida Keys Motel Association was formed by a group of motel owners from Key West to Homestead. E.P. Sadowski of Marathon was elected President.
Today in Keys History – May 30, 2023
1929 – Public Works crews began removing the trolley car tracks from the streets of Key West. The plan was to completely remove the tracks from streets paved with marl. The tracks on brick-paved streets would be left in place and covered with a thick layer of asphalt.
Today in Keys History – May 29, 2023
1962 – The Navy announced that the first of the 420 duplex housing units at Sigsbee Park was being occupied.
Today in Keys History – May 28, 2023
1980 – The replica Spanish galleon used by Mel Fisher’s Treasure Salvors as a museum and headquarters sank at the dock at the end of Front Street.
Today in Keys History – May 27, 2023
1955 – Edward B. Knight and Jack N. Thompson opened K-T Motors, Monroe County dealers for Volkswagen cars and trucks.